Adding media to your questions, like an image, video, GIF, or audio file will make your questionnaire more entertaining. Respondents will be more likely to go all the way to the end of your questionnaire if you include something besides just the plain text question and answers. It will lower the drop-out rate because there's a lower chance they'll get bored.
This guide will teach you:
1. Adding Media
You'll find the option to Add media or Add YouTube video when you're editing a question, right below the box for your question text.
The image or video file will appear above your question.
File sizes above 800 px width and 680 px height work best as they get automatically resized above those parameters. The recommended file size is 800 px in width. Images and audio have to be under 2 MB, and Video files under 5 MB.
- If you have an image file larger than 2MB, try reducing the file size on https://tinypng.com/
- If you want to add a larger video, click Add YouTube video and insert a YouTube link
These are the recommended formats for your media:
- Images: jpg, png, gif
- Audio: mp3
- Video: mp4 (or use YouTube)
2. Adjusting the image
When you click on the Add media button, this does not give you options to resize or move the image. If you want to adjust the image size or align to a specific side of the screen, you can simply try copying the image and paste it directly in the text editor itself and adjust from there. Make sure to preview the survey first, as there are times when this method does not work depending on the address of the image.
If the image is showing incorrectly, try the steps below.
Insert your image by clicking Add media.
Now right-click on the image that you have just added, right click it and select Copy image address.
You may find other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox use the phrase "Copy image location", don't worry, this does the same job!
Attach your image by clicking the image button, and then paste the image URL you copied before and click insert.
You can now click on the image and resize it, or change the alignment. You no longer need the image that you uploaded in the Add media section, so delete it. This is what the image looks like in the text editor:
You'll need to be on the Enterprise or ReportR plan for this.
3. Adjusting the video
When you attach a video with the Add YouTube Video button, you do not have options to resize or move the video. If you want to adjust the video size or align to a specific side of the screen, then you have to follow the following steps.
For starters, copy the video URL and then click the video icon as shown below.
At the new pop up window, paste the video URL and click insert.
To resize the video, go to the code view <> and add the following code:
<div class="ratio-default"><figure><iframe style="width: 600px;height:400px;" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/abcd" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe></figure></div>
Note that you can change the dimensions and test, until you find the size you prefer.
Code view <> is available for Enterprise and ReportR plans only!
4. Media Examples
Here are some examples to get inspired from.
- The Media Library feature allows you to save images that will be available for you to use any time you want, in every survey or PDF in your account. Media Library is used to host images on Pointerpro so you don't have to upload it anywhere else.
- With the Interactive Image question type, the respondent answers the question by clicking on one specific zone in an image. You are able to select parts of the image and make it clickable, but also add text. This text will appear under the image in the questionnaire once the respondent selects that part of the image. This text will also be used in the result pages.
- An Image Upload question type allows respondents to upload an image file or take a picture. It's perfect to get a realistic view of what the respondent does with your product. By adding this type of question, the respondent can add an image or take a picture at that particular moment. This image will be uploaded into the survey.