A URL parameter is the final part of the URL which you can customize and use it to identify your respondents. They can be used to see which of your contacts have completed the questionnaire and to search for contacts in the Responses view once they've completed the questionnaire.
For example, to identify someone by their email address, the URL could look like this:
Are you wondering how to get started with building your own assessments with personalized feedback? Try our onboarding cookbook: a tool that provides you with a personalized cookbook of all the information and Pointerpro features to build what you need. Start the assessment
This guide will teach you:
1. Using Contact List
Head over to the My Contacts tab and upload the contacts to whom you want to send the survey. You can either upload a list of contacts by clicking upload contacts or enter contacts individually (click the circled icon on the right).
Now that your contacts are uploaded, the easiest and quickest way to send out personalized links to contacts is by sending email invitations. In the Share tab, click Email invitations and then click Create Email under Questionnaires with email invitations.
Choose the questionnaire and start creating your email invitations. Name your email invitation and add your name and email address. Choose the contact list you want to send the email invitation to, and now you'll be ready to write the email body.
- Write the text of the message and when you're ready, click variables and you'll find a list of different types of variables that you can add to the invitation. We recommend adding a clickable link with email, or for added security, choose a clickable link with unique ID.
- For whichever link you choose, the system will automatically create and send out unique survey links to each contact and they will receive an email with your message and a link which they click on to answer the survey.
- This link is unique for them and the system will then be able to identify them, so you will see in the Responses view the list of completed surveys, including their name and email address so you can also search the list.
Sending out a manual link
What if you forgot a few contacts and you also want to send them personalized links? You can easily make your own link with a URL parameter. Let's see now how to do that.
At the top of the Share tab, you will find the questionnaire links and a QR code. Click copy to make a copy of the link. You can also use the long or the short one.
Now that you have the link, you can use different fields from the contact information to add to the end of the link. It will be easier to follow with an example, so take a look at the first contact in our list:
If we want to email Steven a personalized link, here's what we'll do. Take the survey link that you have copied, and add /?rid= to the end of the link. Then choose either of the following endings:
- Using the email address, add EM_ and then the email address, so the full link will be https://su.vc/eyrzimdo/?rid=EM_s123@gmail.com, or a variable, so the link will be https://su.vc/eyrzimdo/?rid=EM_*|contact_email|*
- Using the unique identifier, add UID_ and then the unique identifier, so the full link will be:
https://su.vc/eyrzimdo/?rid=UID_1LjMVJRfc, or a variable, so the link will be https://su.vc/eyrzimdo/?rid=UID_*|contact_unique_id|*.
- Using the personal identifier, add EXT_ and then the personal identifier, so the full link will be: https://su.vc/eyrzimdo/?rid=EXT_1LjMVJRfc, or a variable, so the link will be https://su.vc/eyrzimdo/?rid=EXT_*|contact_personal_id|*.
You can apply EM_ and UID_ to Results Dashboard to prefill the available filters.
For maximal safety, the use of the unique identifier is recommended because its value cannot be 'guessed'. This is the unique number that the system automatically assigns to each contact.
2. Using Pre-fill Intro Fields
To save respondents time and get their attention. If you have a field asking for the respondent's name, use a URL parameter to pre-fill this field if you already know their name and simply ask respondents to check the spelling, rather than making them enter data unnecessarily.
Each Intro field is numbered. Pre-fill each field by adding the following text to the end of the link:
For example, to pre-fill a respondent's country, your URL could look like this:
If you would like to combine in the URL the unique ID and pre-filled intro fields then the link will be like this example: https://su.vc/eyrzimdo/?rid=UID_*|contact_unique_id|*&cf2=Belgium
You can send out the link for sharing the dashboard which automatically includes a filter! Just add a URL parameter, a customized part to the end of the dashboard link. For a filter based on an email address, add ?rid=EM_ and then the email address. You could also use a personal ID if you have allocated this or a unique ID. For personal ID, add ?rid=EXT_ to the end of the dashboard link and then the personal ID. For unique ID use ?rid=UID_ followed by the unique ID.
3. Using Fill in Default responses
URL parameters can pre-fill other types of survey questions, not only intro fields. You can add on your own ending so that a specific answer is chosen for a question that you can specify. Filling in answers works with Text Choice, Image Choice, Text Slider, Numeric Slider, and NPS questions.
After you have activated the Fill in default responses, go ahead and start formatting the suffix. You will need to add the following ending to the survey link: /suffix?qx=y replacing suffix with your survey's suffix, replacing the x with your question number, and replacing the y with the position number of the answer option as it is entered into the editor.
If you would like to combine in the URL the unique ID and pre-filled default responses then the link will be like this example: https://su.vc/eyrzimdo/?rid=UID_*|contact_unique_id|*&q1=2&q2=1&q3=5.
4. Using Languages
Add a URL parameter to send out your survey in a specific language.
If you know for sure which language people need, you can add URL parameters to the end of the survey link so that they will automatically be sent the survey in the correct language. It's not difficult to do, here's what you need to add to the end of your survey link:
So for example, if you are sending out your survey in French, this is what your link will look like:
Make sure to send the right link to the right respondent and you're set to go!
- To track your survey respondents you can add intro fields to your questionnaire. This way, if you have users accessing your questionnaire from a few different sources, for example Facebook, LinkedIn, and your company website, you will know which medium they used to access it.
- Share your surveys, quizzes, and assessments by using a questionnaire link, QR Code, email and embedding it. Start sharing your questionnaire to increase the response rate and collect more data.
- Using the Limit the responses of your questionnaire feature you can control the number of the respondents that are taking your survey. It is a great way to prevent multiple responses from the same respondent.