A Contact list includes the people to whom you will email a questionnaire invitation and it allows you to send your questionnaire to a lot of people simultaneously, using the same invitation.
This guide will teach you:
- Before launching your questionnaire or campaign, uploading contacts will allow you to subsequently make a unique link to the questionnaire which will allow the system to automatically identify each respondent.
- If the campaign has a number of different questionnaires, the respondents will be directed to the active questionnaires without having to enter their personal details every time.
- You can track contacts' progress and pre-fill certain parts of the questionnaire with their data - always a good idea to save people time!
1. Add contacts
Click the avatar icon at the top right and select Contacts from the dropdown menu. You can then choose to add contacts individually (click on the Create contact button) or to upload a .csv file with the information of the people you would like to send the survey to (click Upload contacts). The system will automatically assign a unique identifier to each respondent.
Click the Create contacts button, a box will pop up where you can enter information for First and Last name, Email, Personal ID, Custom data and specify to which list you would like this person to be added to.
Personal ID is an optional field and can be used to identify each person with an ID of your choice. This could be an employee number or an ID of an in-house CRM system or other application.
Click Save and close when you’re done.
1.2 Uploading from a .csv File
In an Excel spreadsheet, enter the following information under the columns. It's really important to do it in this order:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Personal ID - If you do not want to enter a Personal ID, leave this column empty.
- Custom Data
- List (optional)
Here's an example to demonstrate how to set up the spreadsheet with the columns in the correct order:
Specifying to which list each person belongs to will enable you to send out the questionnaire to a named group of people. If you want to add someone to two groups, separate the groups by a '|', for example, example1|example2. The list will be created once you upload the file if it does not yet exist.
Here's an example of how to specify whether someone should be part of two lists (top row) or one list (bottom row):
If you're on the Enterprise plan or higher, you can add as many columns as you require, for example, add columns to include information about the company or role, as seen below.
Make sure that the top row contains all the titles. The first entry should be in the second row.
Set up Intro Fields with the corresponding External Fields name, to get the contact information pre-filled for you.
If you're on the Enterprise or ReportR plan, you can use Save contact details to automatically add people to your list.
Once you enter all the information into the spreadsheet, save it as a CSV file. Read here for more details about converting Excel files to CSV.
Now click on the button Upload contacts.
Before uploading all your contacts, it is recommended to import a file with only the header row and 1 row of data (1 contact). After confirming that all the data is in the correct column you can then import the whole file.
A box will pop up, click upload, then Choose your file, select the file you want to upload, and click Upload and close. The system will then upload your entire file.
The maximum number of contacts that can be imported at a time is 50.000. If you want to import a file that contains more than 50.000 rows, we recommend splitting it up over multiple imports.
After you have set up your Intro Fields, Click Edit to see more information.
2. Create lists
A list can be based on departments, areas, companies, job functions, or any other way you want to group the people you want to send the questionnaire invitations to.
Click on Create list, give it a name and click on Save and close.
2.1 Adding existing contacts to a list
Select individuals by ticking the box to the left of their name and then click the button on the top menu Add to list.
A white box will appear and by clicking the down arrow, you will be able to choose a list. Click Save and close and your selections be added.
2.2 Adding new contacts to a list
If you haven't uploaded a file yet, you can immediately add them to a list while uploading your file as explained earlier.
3. Make changes
Once you've uploaded your information, you can always make changes to them.
- Edit - click on the pencil to edit details of a particular person or click the "X" to delete specific respondents. The "..." offers you the option to add them to a certain List or delete them.
- Delete multiple contacts - click here to delete everything, or select certain people by ticking the box next to their names and this button will delete only the ones you selected.
- Download - This button will download all the information you have for your respondents. This can be really useful if you've changed the details that you uploaded in the software and now you want to have an updated version in a file. The downloads that are 5000+ are split into queues.