Google Analytics is a freemium web analytics service that tracks and reports website traffic. It is currently the most widely used web analytics service on the Internet.
Google Analytics (GA) will capture extra data that will allow you to make analyses across different channels. For example, to check if there are discrepancies between your website visitors and your social following.
Google announced that on July 1, 2023, standard Universal Analytics properties will no longer process data. You'll be able to see your Universal Analytics reports for a period of time after July 1, 2023. However, new data will only flow into Google Analytics 4 properties.
Note that 360 Universal Analytics properties will receive a one-time processing extension ending on July 1, 2024.
This guide will teach you:
- Find your Google Analytics 4 Measurement ID
- Find your Google Universal Analytics Key
- Activate Google Analytics in your questionnaire
1. Find your Google Analytics 4 Measurement ID
To make GA 4 work on your survey, you first need your measurement ID. To find it, you first need to go to Admin Panel in Google Analytics 4. Then select the property that you want to get the measurement id for and click on "Data Stream".
Click on the Data Stream name on the next screen.
Then copy your Measurement ID, by clicking on the copy button.
2. Find your Google Universal Analytics Key
If you are still using Universal GA then you first need your Google Analytics Key.
You can find it by going to the Administration section in GA. You can get there by clicking on the gear wheel in the bottom left corner.
Once you're on the Administration page, in the Property list of options, click Tracking info then, select Tracking Code.
Here you'll find your GA under Tracking ID. It will most likely start with UA.
2. Activate Google Analytics in your questionnaire
Go to Extra Options. Scroll down to the Integrations section and find Google Analytics.
Now you can toggle the button to activate it and enter your GA key.
Depending on the Google Analytics version that you are using, you can either add the Google Analytics 4 Measurement ID, or your Google Analytics Universal Key.
By default, we trigger the following events.
- A default pageview event is send when a questionnaire is accessed
- An "sa_survey_start" event is send when the first slide of the questionnaire is visible
- An "sa_survey_question_answered" event is send each time an answer is selected on a question (see help documentation for which question types this applies to)
- An "sa_survey_complete" event is send upon successfully completing a questionnaire
Here is how a GA page could appear with Pointerpro integration:
Note that to have a more accurate representation of where a user drops off, it is advised to enable the mandatory question option, as long as the questions on the survey are either:
Otherwise, if you make use of different question types, we recommend to use the save per question.
- Google Tag Manager is a tag system that can be used for tracking and analytics on websites. It can be used to track respondents' behavior in your survey or to find out how effective an advert promoting your survey has been.
- Zapier is a tool that enables the transfer of data from one web app to another one. By using Zapier in combination with Pointerpro, you can send the data collected within your survey to create contacts in Pointerpro or send data to apps such as Mailchimp, Salesforce, Trello, and many more. For example, to transfer email addresses collected in a survey to a Mailchimp email list.
- Integromat allows you to automate many processes and simplifies the transfer of information between apps, saving you bags of time! Integromat offers similar features to Zapier but is more powerful as you can set a single event to trigger a number of different actions to be taken simultaneously.