Google Tag Manager is a system that can be used to track respondents' behavior in your survey, or to find out how effective an advertising been.
This guide will teach you:
1. Find your Container ID
Log in to your Google Tag Manager account or set one up here: https://www.google.com/analytics/tag-manager/. Create a new container for your Pointerpro surveys by selecting Create Account from the menu on the top right.
In the Container name field, enter www.s.pointerpro.com. Select Web for Where to Use Container and now click Create.
This will take you to a popup that provides you with the codes you need to install it on your websites.
Copy the container ID (GTM-XXXXXXX) and now it's time to head to your Pointerpro account.
2. Activate Google Tag Manager in your questionnaire
Within the survey to which you want to add it, click on the Extra Options tab and scroll down to Integrations. Click Google Tag Manager and toggle the button to activate it.
Now you can simply paste the container ID that you copied earlier.
By default, we trigger the following events.
- A default pageview event is send when a questionnaire is accessed
- An "sa_survey_start" event is send when the first slide of the questionnaire is visible
- An "sa_survey_question_answered" event is send each time an answer is selected on a question (see help documentation for which question types this applies to)
- An "sa_survey_complete" event is send upon successfully completing a questionnaire
Now you'll need to head back to your Google Tag Manager account to set up the tags and triggers. Tags are the labels for particular actions and the triggers are the actions that have to occur before tagging. Check out this help pages to find out create them.
To create a new tag, choose Google Ads Conversion Tracking as the tag type. You'll need to fill in the Conversion ID and conversion label.
The conversion ID and conversion label can be found in Google AdWords after setting up a conversion. See AdWords' help guide for more details.
Once you have set up the conversion, scroll down to tag setup, click Use Google Tag Manager and you'll find the conversion ID and conversion label.
To complete the trigger, create a new trigger and choose trigger type custom event. Now enter the custom event name as sa_survey_complete
If you are using AdWords, you can include Google Ads Conversion Tracking so as soon as a survey is completed, this will be recorded as a conversion. You'll find the conversion ID and conversion label in Google Ads under Tools.
You can use the preview in Google Tag Manager to check if the tag has been fired on the survey. Once the preview mode is enabled, go to your survey and it will open the Google Tag Manager at the bottom of the survey. Once you’ve clicked complete, it should show that the tag has been fired.
This is what will be shown when a trigger has been fired.
Note that to have a more accurate representation of where a user drops off, it is advised to enable the mandatory question option, as long as the questions on the survey are either:
- Text choice (single choice)
- Image choice (single choice)
- Range slider (text)
Otherwise, if you make use of different question types, we recommend to use the save per question.
- Zapier is a tool that enables the transfer of data from one web app to another one. By using Zapier in combination with Pointerpro, you can send the data collected within your survey to create contacts in Pointerpro or send data to apps such as Mailchimp, Salesforce, Trello, and many more. For example, to transfer email addresses collected in a survey to a Mailchimp email list.
- Integromat allows you to automate many processes and simplifies the transfer of information between apps, saving you bags of time! Integromat offers similar features to Zapier but is more powerful as you can set a single event to trigger a number of different actions to be taken simultaneously.
- A Webhook is a notification sent over the web, which transfers data from one app to another when something happens. In the case of surveys, whenever a new response is entered, this triggers a notification to be sent automatically.