A Typeahead Auto-Suggest question is used when you have many answers that the respondent needs to choose from. You can just upload a whole file with all of the answers instead of entering them in one-by-one. The respondent can search the list by typing the first letters of the words they're looking for, and the corresponding answers will appear.
Use a typeahead question instead of a drop-down (form question) if you have more than 250 characters or more than 15 answer options.
You could use a typeahead if you want respondents to select the country or state they live in or the department in which they work. Take a look at this example to see just how the typeahead question works.
This guide will teach you:
- Add a Typeahead Auto-Suggest question
- Change the general question settings
- Edit the question
- Add your answer list
1. Add a Typeahead Auto-Suggest question
In the Questions tab, click ?Questions. Select Typeahead Auto-Suggest from the list of question types and click Add.
2. Change the general question settings
- Hide/show the question settings.
- Change the question order.
- Change question type.
- Make the question active/inactive.
- Lock/unlock the question to be edited by other team members.
- Copy, Delete, or Preview that particular question.
3. Edit the question
4. Add your answer list
You've put in your question, now's the time to upload a file of all your answers options. Sit back and think how much time you've saved not having to enter each one manually!
- This is the text that will appear just above the Typeahead box.
- Click Upload answers to upload your answer file. Your file should be a .txt or .csv file. (Create a .csv file by working in Excel and choosing 'save as', 'CSV'.) The maximum amount of typeahead options allowed is 6000.
- Add a text box to specify or leave an extra comment - When this feature is switched on, you'll be able to add your own text to ask respondents to give more information.
- Add a button to upload an extra image file- When this feature is switched on, you'll be able to add your own text customize the button for the image file.
See how to convert Excel to a CSV file. Your answer file should have the answer in one column, like this: